Blood bank refrigerators are vital for keeping blood and blood products safe. Over time and in line with medical and technological developments, the standards for blood banks have evolved. It is now vital that the criteria are met for the safety of those involved in blood transportation and blood transfusions. In this blog post, we will be covering what features are most important when choosing a blood bank refrigerator.
Features to Consider When Choosing a Blood Bank Refrigerator
Not every blood bank is set up the same, however, ., there are many critical points to consider when choosing the appropriaterefrigerator. Some of the features listed below will be paramount to keeping blood products safe, while others can be chosen based on users preference such as lightingor number of shelves.
- Audible and Visual Alarms: Alarms that can be preset to sound for the following conditions: if/when a door(s) is open too long, temperature change above/below operating setpoint(s) or a power failure. In addition, some units have the ability to communicate alarm conditions to the building maintenance system.
- Lighting: Refrigerators can be fitted with a range of lights. Options include energy-saving LEDs, long bars, small dot lights and more.
- Liquid-Tight Containers: Containers are constructed to prevent spills or leakages from leaving the container and reduce cross-contamination.
- Lockable Doors: Doors can be locked to prevent unauthorized access. This feature protects the blood and blood components from theft, accidental use and contamination.
- Shelves and Storage: Internal storage can be designed to suit your needs. Shelves can be added or removed, and storage trays can be included to fit the vials or containers you use.
- Self-Closing Doors: Doors can be built with magnetic strips in the seal or spring-loaded mechanisms to ensure they close shut. This can help maintain the required temperature and ensure samples are not contaminated should a door be left open.
Temperature Control: Blood bank refrigerators are built with tighter temperature tolerances than traditional laboratory refrigerators.. To ensure temperature uniformity is maintained, multiple probes can be included throughout the fridge.
ARES Scientific Products
At ARES Scientific, we carry a complete range of cold storage solutions to meet your exacting needs. Below are a few models widely used in blood banks around the country.
Follett REF25 Upright blood bank refrigerator
The REF25 is a stainless steel fridge that comes with six drawers, S-tracks and an LCD touchscreen to make user control more efficient. This high-performance refrigeration system also includes a wide range of benefits such as:
- Air distribution system
- Auto-evaporating condensate
- Audible and visual alarms for temperature changes, power failure or open doors
- Energy efficient: supported by the doors, LED lights and temperature controls
- Heavy-duty door
- Self-closing hinges
- Stainless steel cabinet and internal drawers
Follett REF2 medical-grade countertop refrigerator 1.8 Cu. Ft.
The REF2 is a countertop fridge manufactured in stainless steel. It contains two wired shelves, a forced-air cooled refrigeration system and temperature alarms.
Additional features include:
- Audible and visual alarms
- External LED display for temperature controls
- Field-reversible door hinge
- Quiet compressor
If you require any further information about blood bank refrigerators or would like to make a purchase, please contact us today at 1-844-444-ARES or email email@example.com.